Jump start your research this summer!
ARC has assembled some resources and links here that we hope will be helpful and timely for those engaged in research computing with ARC this summer.
Continue reading below for details about:
- Getting Started On TinkerCliffs and Infer
- Creating Software Modules
- ARC Office Hours
- Training and Carpentries Workshops
GETTING STARTED ON TINKERCLIFFS AND INFER
Get started on these new clusters brought online in 2020-2021!
- TinkerCliffs Reference: https://arc.vt.edu/tinkercliffs/
- Infer Reference: https://arc.vt.edu/infer/
- Examples: https://github.com/AdvancedResearchComputing/examples
- Tutorial on the module system: https://video.vt.edu/media/ARCA+Using+modules+to+access+software+packages+%28EasyBuild+version%29/0_nhj2cdjy/176584251
- New Open OnDemand instance: https://ood.arc.vt.edu/
Let us know if you have questions, need a software installation, or would like an example for your application: https://arc.vt.edu/help
CREATING SOFTWARE MODULES
Want a software package that ARC doesn\'t offer? We just posted two new videos about how you can add custom software packages to the module system on ARC clusters:
- Creating Custom Software Modules with EasyBuild: https://video.vt.edu/media/Creating+Custom+Software+Modules+with+EasyBuild/1_et3mu28o
- Manual Install of Custom Software Modules using setup_app: https://video.vt.edu/media/Building+Custom+Software+Modules+Manually+on+ARC%27s+Resources/1_ylh24w9q
ARC OFFICE HOURS
ARC is hosting virtual office hours each weekday via Zoom. Come join us to have a one-on-one dialog to get a broad overview of ARC, troubleshoot a tricky problem, or design your jobs. No registration is required and a calendar is posted above with the schedule and Zoom links.
TRAINING and CARPENTRIES WORKSHOPS
Training opportunities: https://profdev.tlos.vt.edu/?query=arc
We have expanded our Intro to ARC courses into a sequence of six 75 minutes courses to allow more time to dive into the some of the major aspects of using ARC systems at Virginia Tech:
|Course||Topics||Date and Time|
|ARC1||Systems and Services Overview||Wednesday, May 26 1:00-2:15|
|ARC2||Getting Connected||Monday, June 1, 11:00-12:15|
|ARC3||Linux/BASH for HPC||Monday, June 15, 1:00-2:15|
|ARC4||Running Jobs with SLURM||Thursday, July 1, 9:00-10:15|
|ARC5||Scaling Up||Monday, July 13, 10:00-11:15|
|ARC6||Software||Monday, July 27, 11:00-12:15|
The content for these courses will be tailored specifically to ARC\'s systems and follow in the spirit of these in-development HPC Carpentries lessons which you may find helpful as a self-guided introduction to understand and interact with current standard high-performance computing systems: https://carpentries-incubator.github.io/hpc-intro/
\"The Carpentries\" are an open content set of lessons that teach \"foundational coding and data science skills to researchers worldwide.\" Virginia Tech has an actively growing community of certified instructors who conducts many workshops based on the carpentries lessons each year.
- Data Carpentry: Geospatial Data in R
- Pre-fall Semester Carpentry courses in Unix, Git, Python, and R: August 2-13 (registration should open soon)
We\'re looking forward to working with you this summer!